Choosing the right home inspector is a difficult but important step in protecting your future investment in your new home. Buying a home is probably the most expensive purchase you’ll ever make. You have recently been crunching the numbers, negotiating offers, adding up closing costs, shopping for mortgages, and trying to get the best deals. This is no time to shop for a cheap inspection. The cost of a home inspection is very small relative to the value of the home being inspected. How do you know which inspectors have been properly trained? How do you know who will be thorough enough to provide you with the information you need to proceed with the transaction? How do you know who will be honest, dependable, and reliable?
InterNACHI (the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors) provides training, certification and continuing education for home inspectors. InterNACHI certification requires more training and involvement that simply meeting the basic requirements to be licensed as a home inspector. This training sets InterNACHI inspectors apart from the cheap inspection group. When assessing the differences in the quality of work and reporting, the slight additional cost of hiring an InterNACHI-Certified Professional Inspector® is insignificant. InterNACHI-certified inspectors perform the best inspections by far.
In addition to meeting the requirements for licensing in their specific states, a certified InterNACHI inspector:
- Must pass InterNACHI’s Online Inspector Examination, and re-take and pass it every three years
- Must complete InterNACHI’s online Code of Ethics Course and abide by this code
- Must take InterNACHI’s online Standards of Practice Course
- Must take and pass 12 specific inspection courses within the first year of membership
- Must pursue inspection-related training by taking 24 hours of additional accredited Continuing Education each year
Additional requirements and qualifications are summarized in the following link: http://www.nachi.org/blindc.htm.
When viewing the link, you will also have the opportunity to search for an InterNACHI certified inspector near you.